Depending on the circumstances, some parents would switch from breastfeeding to bottle feeding very early. Some babies are really not comfortable with the mother’s nipples. At the same time, some mommies do not lactate prolifically compared to others, needing milk bottles.
To make the transition smoother, moms turn to bottles with wider nipple bases to resemble the mother’s breast. Some others look for added features to make the shift to bottle feeding more practical and convenient. If you are on the lookout for one, here are some of the best bottles for breastfed babies in 2022.
Before we give the rundown of the best bottles for breastfed babies in 2022, you must first have to know the factors to consider in choosing one. A comprehensive buying guide is important in narrowing down the best choice for your babies’ needs.
- Realistic feel: The best infant bottles must give the baby a realistic feel of the mother’s breast. This is to avoid confusion and bottle rejection. As such, do not choose bottles with odd shapes or those that are too heavy for the infant’s latch. The best ones are those silicone or soft bodied bottles.
- Nipple: This is the most important factor to consider when buying bottles for infants. It must not be too generous or else they will get used to it. Get a firm one with controlled drip so that the baby would work up to get the milk, hence, creating a realistic feel. Moreso, the nipple should resemble the mom’s breast as much as possible. This includes being shaped rightly for the baby to have the same sucking motion as they would with breasts. It is said that the accordion type of nipples are the best ones for the job.
- Bottle shape: Babies are adaptive and instinctive. They would immediately recognize where they are feeding from. To avoid bottle rejection, it is essential to switch first to feeding bottles that are round shaped and slightly domed. A tilted shaped bottle is a good choice to mimic the shape and feel of mom’s breast.
- Flow speed: This one is directly associated with the nipple. The flow speed of the nipple should also resemble your own breast. It should not be too fast or too slow. It must not also be too generous or the baby would choke on milk and not be too stingy as to irritate the hungry infant. Go for a bottle with an adjustable flow speed.
Venting mechanism: This one follows simple science. When the baby sucks from the bottle, it creates extra space for air. This is good for breasts because the excess milk is released. But for bottles, it would make the baby gassy or have colic. Hence, a vent or valve built in the bottles would allow the excess air to escape to the top. Having a vented bottle also creates a more realistic milk flow for the baby.
Ease of cleaning: To keep the baby safe from bacteria and other harmful substances, cleaning is an important consideration. Cleaning is more challenging for those with anti-colic features since you have to assemble and disassemble them every now and then. The best bottles must also be bottle sanitizer and dishwasher friendly to give more ease in cleaning. Wide neck bottles are also very recommended for easy cleaning.
Price: While this is not the first consideration, it should be an important factor to note. For budget conscious mothers, initial canvassing must be done first. Of course, feeding bottles with added features tend to be more expensive than the plainer ones. Nonetheless, it should not be the deciding factor. At the end of the day, cheaper ones have more drawbacks compared to mid-tier and high-end ones. At the other end, you might invest in something expensive now and find out later that your baby does not want it because it is uncomfortable.
Best Bottles for Breastfed Babies in 2022
Now that we have covered the essentials to choose the best bottles for breastfed babies in 2022, it is time to have a roundup of these products. In this section, we shall give a rundown of the best features of each as well as their sets of pros and cons. This is beneficial to narrow down the best bottle for your needs.
This one is considered as the best travel bottle for babies in 2022. It takes two minutes to assemble and has an opening that is wide enough for easy cleaning even without the aid of a dishwasher.
Its main upside however, is its big and soft nipples plus its squishy bottle which babies could grab on to just as how they grab their mommies’ bosoms. Also, it is made of durable and eco-friendly materials that are microwave, dishwasher, and bottle sterilizer friendly.
For the best short nipple choice, this infant bottle is the best for you. Its main selling point is its unusual size. Most babies are aversive to very long nipples making bottle feeding challenging for some parents.
This one has a thick and matte textured nipple. It is also tapered less sharply so it does not feel too long and evasive for the baby’s mouth. Another upside of this feeding bottle is its natural wave design which offers the same sucking motion in the mother’s breast. This is essential in the oral development of the child and in promoting good latch.
This one is rated as the best wide neck breastfeeding bottle of 2022. It is made of BPA-free plastic materials and features the brand’s easy to hold build. Its strongest point is its venting system. It has a built-in straw valve which is beneficial in avoiding spit-up, excess gas and colic.
Moreover, it is easy to clean. An upside is that it is dishwasher friendly and does not warp in extreme heat. The nipples are also firm yet soft on the mouth so babies do not get confused.
This one is considered as the most innovative baby bottle in the market. The bottle’s body, in itself, is shaped like a breast. The nipple is put on the side so that the baby could hold it while they feed.
The best feature of this baby bottle is that it is optimized to retain heat. This means that breastmilk does not spoil easily and the minerals are not broken down immediately. It is also anti-colic and you can directly pump milk into these concave baby bottles.
If you want to promote natural latching for your babies, this is the best feeding bottle to consider. This one features an unusual shape but fits well around the infant’s hand. The nipples are also specially designed to mimic the firmness of the mother’s bosom. It has a wide base, with a flat and long body, resembling natural nipples.
Its main selling point would be its adjustable flow rates for the milk. It also has an anti-colic valve to remove excess air once the infant has latched successfully. The bottle’s body is also designed to be held in different ways at different positions for the baby’s convenience.
Tips for Transitioning Babies to Feeding Bottles
Do not forcibly transition babies to use feeding bottles if they are not yet ready or just because the situation feels like it is necessary. The transition to feeding bottles should be slowly but surely. Hence, here are some tips to employ for a successful transition from mom’s breast to feeding bottles.
- Start exposing the infant to the feeding bottle when he is not yet hungry. Try it in between feeding during nighttime.
- For infants 0-3 months old, choose a nipple that is shaped like your nipple. Go for a slow flow until the baby keeps up with his own sucking pace.
- Change the place and the time when you switch to feeding bottles. Also try different positions using the feeding bottle to acclimate the infant to it.
- If you are buying bottle feeding kits, try each of the nipple sizes. This way, you would know which works best for the infant.
- This is quite a tradition but it works. Dab a small amount of your own breast milk to the nipple for familiarity. The infant would suck on it immediately if it smells like the mother’s scent.
Aside from what we have already covered, there is still some handy information about bottle feeding which you must be aware of. These FAQs are especially beneficial for first time moms who are shopping for the best bottle for their breastfed babies.
Should I buy feeding bottles in bulk?
No, this is not recommended. First time parents tend to load up baby bottles because of the fear of running out of clean bottles in the middle of the night. However, you may buy 30 of them and find out later on that your baby hates them. It is advised then that you buy at least 4-6 dependable ones and find which of them works best and then buy that in bulk.
Should I always get the largest sized feeding bottle?
You can but having diverse sizes is still the most recommended. The 4oz bottles are for the newborns and first three months. But soon enough, the babies would chug more milk, requiring you, larger ones. As such having different sizes could get you through the first year of milk chugging.
Can my second baby use hand-me-down feeding bottles?
No. This is a common misnomer. Feeding bottles that were used a year and more ago must no longer be used by the new baby. Chances are, they are already contaminated with BPA components which might be harmful to the infant. These harmful components might be activated when the old feeding bottles are heated.
When must I introduce my infant to feeding bottles?
It depends. This is always a case-to-case basis. Some babies switch to feeding bottles immediately. Some wait until they are half a year up to two years old. This one depends on the nursing satisfaction of your infant using feeding bottles.
How many ounces do I feed a breastfed baby in the first month?
Note that newborns have very small stomachs that could only take in 1 tsp of milk. Hence, during the first month of life, 1-4oz of milk per feeding is the most recommended.
There are a lot of reasons as to why moms switch to bottles instead of strict breastfeeding. Since it is becoming a more viable option, parents must know the best choices when it comes to the best bottles for breastfed babies.
With everything that we have covered so far, the most important thing to consider is the convenience and feeding habits of the infant. From the build, nipple and up to added features, as a mom, you would know what is best for your infant’s feeding needs.